.NET magazine Build a Retro Game in Flixel Part 2 is out

A month ago .net magazine published part 1 of my article on how to build a Retro Game using Flixel. Well Issue 218 has now hit subscribers doormats and should now be in stores, and it contains the concluding article.

Part 2 deals with adding: A title page / attract mode, pink cat shaped baddies, a Game Over sequence, and music and sound effects. Everything audio in this part was composed by the mentally talented Brendan Ratliff (better known as Echolevel). He created a suitably “chick like” chiptastic title tune and plenty of in-game effects to pump-up the mood. The article includes a decent section on how he approached the music and the tools he used. Check out his work at echolevel.co.uk and if you want some top tunes for your game, drop him a line!

There’s a bit less Flixel code in part 2, and more general “wrapping up your game” topics such as selling it on FGL and distribution. But I hope you find it an interesting read all the same. To those of you who have gone out of your way to acquire the magazine to read part 1 I really do thank you – I know it’s not easy to buy, especially outside the UK. You may be pleased to know I’m in advanced talks with Packt Publishing about creating a Flixel specific book. Rather than spend 10 months churning out some monster that is utterly out of date the second it hits the press, Packt instead want to try publishing much smaller, more focused books. So 70 pages instead of 300+, quicker to author and much cheaper and more relevant as a result. If there is anything you’d like to see specifically covered in this book please drop me a line or leave a comment.

You can buy issue 217 (Part 1) and 218 (Part 2) from the magazines web site in download or print format

Posted on July 19th 2011 at 1:00 pm by .
View more posts in Articles. Follow responses via the RSS 2.0 feed.

17 Responses

• Shrapnel
    July 19th 2011 at 2:24 pm

First of all, gratz again for your articles. =)
    Second… a book? Where? When? How? I want it now. No, not now. Make it yesterday. =)
    And I’d love tips specifically aimed at zero-knowledge-in-AS3+Flixel noobs like me in it, please. =D

• Jorge
    July 19th 2011 at 5:49 pm

Woaaaah! A flixel book? I-want-it-and-I-want-it-now!

Maps (with DAME) and Flixel Power Tools are two must for it :)

Hope to see it soon!

• July 19th 2011 at 5:58 pm

Maps will of course be in there – you can’t write a book on Flixel and ignore those! As for the Power Tools I’m not so sure.. I wonder if the book ought to deal with plain vanilla Flixel only, and keep the Power Tools as something I just blog about instead. Hard one to call really. I think I’ll let comments sway me :)

• July 19th 2011 at 6:02 pm

Think I might get this =p Sounds really interesting and my girlfriend could really use the knowledge.

• Shrapnel
    July 19th 2011 at 6:25 pm

Maybe vanilla Flixel would be better for the book, just because:
    a) by taking the Power Tools out, there would be more space for Flixel itself, and it’d be greatly appreciated by people like me who have to learn everything from the ground up;
    b) everything we need about the Power Tools is finely covered here. =)

Of course, the Power Tools rock. But I think that was a given. =D

• July 19th 2011 at 7:56 pm

Yeah I agree, I think the book ought to be vanilla Flixel with just a nod towards the tools in an Appendix. I think it ought to cover making a plugin though! As that’s mentally useful :)

• Jorge
    July 19th 2011 at 8:54 pm

I wasn´t talking about a 50/50 book, half flixel and half FPTools, but I think the tools are really important, they deserve more than a appendix IMO, but well, Richard is the writer :)

• July 20th 2011 at 6:54 am

What happened to the PDF file? It didn’t make it into flash-218.zip. Although I purchased both issues from Zinio, it would be nice to view the articles on a 7″ Android tablet (without Honeycomb).

• Jorge
    July 20th 2011 at 8:46 am

@CDoty: Yesterday at bed I was watching this second part, with Zinio, on my Galaxy Tab, 7 inches without Honeycomb.

• July 20th 2011 at 10:33 am

CDoty – Sorry you’d best take that up with them directly, I didn’t package the download or have anything to do with the digital version.

• guy
    July 21st 2011 at 4:32 am

psssssst http://www.netm.ag/flash-218 hint hint

• guy again
    July 21st 2011 at 4:35 am

OH and book?? YES please, I would buy it in a heartbeat! (well AS long as it is not complete rubbish ;D but from reading your stuff, i doubt that) 😀 YOU are my favourite flash developer

• July 21st 2011 at 5:35 am

Thanks Jorge, I can’t get Zinio to run on either of my *cheap* Android 2.2 tablet. I wonder if the Android version uses Adobe AIR?

• Jorge
    July 21st 2011 at 7:40 am

Really sorry CDoty, I prefer the Kindle to read, but anyway, Zinio is not as bad on a 7″ screen :)

• George Wilson
    July 26th 2011 at 6:51 pm

Really excited about the book. I bought the first article and looked for the second one but it does not appear to be in the States yet.

In the book I would like to see it not be too basic. Hopefully all of the readers understand variables and loops.

Multi-player would be nice to see as well, and saving/loading games.

I really like the idea of a small book that just gets down to the work. Who needs 300 pages that tell me nothing.

• July 26th 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hi George – Yes I definitely won’t be covering beginner level AS3 – that will be a reading requirement. It will get right into it, and hit the ground running. No messing around. I’ll post up a potential chapter list shortly for feedback, so be sure to check it out when I do!

• August 9th 2011 at 2:19 pm

Well a book from you…hmm :X that would be awsome. Good luck with that.

Make yourself heard